To bring about the Restoration, we must simultaneously reject the modern culture. Yet, can we Catholics resist the trappings and enticements of these seemingly-inescapable worldly-influences, such as the continually expanding list of secular “holi-days” and other substitutes for religious services and customs, if we haven’t already a strong and integrated Catholic life, rich with meaningful practices?
How about our children who are growing up with these counterfeit, “religion of Man” customs already well established and all around them? Nature abhors a vacuum, so we must ensure that we fill our lives, and those of our children, with the beautiful and sanctifying customs that God has intended for His children to cherish, and through which we thrive. Otherwise, we will seek to fill that void with these manifold Satanic imitations.
Let our Australian guest, Camille, enlighten your start to the Liturgical Year with her presentation of many traditional Advent customs. Then spice up your Christmas with an abundance of enriching customs from her wonderful suggestions.
- Msgr. Delassus explains the importance of family traditions in preserving good customs of Catholic Civilization.
- “Religious Customs in the Family” - Fr. Francis X. Weiser S.J.
- “The Year and Our Children – Catholic Family Celebrations for Every Season” – Mary Reed Newland
- “The Year and Our Children – Planning the Family Activities for Christian Feasts and Seasons.” – Mary Reed Newland
- “Feast Day Cookbook – The Traditional Catholic Feast Day Dishes of Many Lands” – Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger
The Catholic Home℗ is a Production of the Restoration Radio Network. Copyright 2015. All Rights are Reserved.
A Recipe from this Episode:
Aussie Caramel Slice Recipe
1 cup SR Flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
125g butter – melted
2 x 395g/400g Sweetened Condensed Milk
4 tbsp Golden Syrup
60 g butter
150g milk chocolate
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F)
Grease 18cm x 28cm baking dish
Combine first four ingredients – Mix well – Press into dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until browned
Combine filling ingredients in a pot – stir over medium heat until boiling – reduce heat and stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until small solid pieces of caramel start to form
Spread filling over base and bake for a further 20 minutes – take out of oven and allow to cool
Melt chocolate – spread over slice – refrigerated until solid – then cut into squares