What is Faith? In what way do we make acts of faith everyday? What is the first requirement to please God? How are we certain the Catholic faith is the only true religion? Will God answer our prayers for grace and truth if we ask Him?
In the second episode of This is Catholicism, His Excellency, Bishop Donald Sanborn, guides us through “On Faith in General” in A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J.
Deharbe’s Catechism was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. His Excellency finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Follow along with us as His Excellency, Bishop Donald Sanborn, rector of Most Holy Trinity Seminary, and host Jason Guardiano cover “On Faith in General: The Nature and Necessity of Faith and the Object and Rule of Faith.”
Part I On Faith
Chapter I. Faith in General
1. Nature and Necessity of Faith (Questions 1-9)
1. What is Faith?
2. Why do we say that faith is infused by God into our souls?
3. Why must grace not only enlighten our understanding, but also move our will?
4. Why must we believe all that God has revealed?
5. Is faith necessary to salvation?
6. Will any faith save us?
7. Why will that faith only which Christ has taught save us?
8. Is it, then, a sin to say that it does not matter what faith we profess?
9. But is it not written: ‘He that feareth God, and worketh justice, is acceptable to Him’? (Acts x. 35).
2. Object and Rule of Faith (Questions 10-18)
10. What means, ‘all that God has revealed’?
11. Was it necessary that God should have revealed to us the truths of salvation, in order that we might know them?
12. How do we know the truths which God has revealed?
13. Are we certain of the truths which the Church teaches?
14. Have not the Protestant sects also received their doctrine from Christ Himself, and preserved it uncorrupted?
15. What, therefore, must the Catholic believe?
16. By what sinful act is faith lost?
17. How is faith regained if it has been lost?
18. If, then, the true faith is essentially necessary to salvation, and the Catholic faith is the only true one, is it not a great grace to be a Catholic Christian?
Act of Faith
O my God, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I believe that Thy Divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived.
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
Podcast Player - Click the Download Icon to Download Episode
To gain unlimited access to all Restoration Radio shows, you can become an Annual member by clicking the link below.
Transcript available now for Annual Members and a la carte purchase.
Become an Annual Member to Access
or purchase a la carte.
or login via the right column if you are already an Annual Member.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of the Restoration Radio Network. Copyright 2015. All Rights are Reserved.