The First Article of the Apostles' Creed: 'I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.' To believe in God means that you believe in Him as the savior of your soul. That He is going to deliver you from sin and bring you to eternal salvation. You believe in Him as the source of all good and the source of your salvation.
In the fifth episode of This is Catholicism, His Excellency, Bishop Donald Sanborn, guides us through "On God and His Attributes or Perfections" in A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J.
Deharbe’s Catechism was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. His Excellency finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Follow along with us as His Excellency, Bishop Donald Sanborn, rector of Most Holy Trinity Seminary, and host Jason Guardiano cover the beginning of Chapter II: Chief Truths of Faith.
Part I On Faith (continued)
Chapter II. Chief Truths of Faith
The Apostles’ Creed
1. Where are the chief things which we must above all know and believe, briefly contained?
2. Why is it called the ‘Apostles' Creed'?
The First Article
'I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.’
§ 1. On God and His Attributes or Perfections.
‘I believe in God.’
3. Who is God?
4. Can we see God?
5. How, then, can we come to a knowledge of God?
6. How has God made Himself known to man in a natural way?
7. How has God made Himself known to man in a supernatural manner?
8. Why do we say, 'I believe in God,' and not only, 'I believe God'?
9. Why do we call God a 'Spirit'?
10. And why do we say that 'God is infinitely perfect'?
11. Which are the principal Attributes or Perfections of God?
12. What means 'God is eternal'?
13. What means 'God is unchangeable'?
14. What ought we to do, since God is eternal and unchangeable?
15. What means 'God is omnipresent'?
16. What means 'God is all-knowing'?
17. What benefit do we derive from the frequent remembrance of God's omnipresence and omniscience?
18. What means 'God is all-wise'?
19. What means 'God is all-powerful or almighty'?
20. To what should our belief in God's infinite power and infinite wisdom incite us?
21. What means 'God is holy'?
22. What means 'God is just'?
23. When will perfect retribution be made?
24. To what should the remembrance of God's holiness and justness animate us?
25. What means 'God is good'?
26. Which is the greatest proof of God's love and goodness?
27. What means 'God is merciful'?
28. What means 'God is long-suffering'?
29. What should we do, since God is so good, so merciful, and so long-suffering?
30. What means 'God is true'?
31. What means 'God is faithful'?
32. What does the truth and faithfulness of God oblige us to do?
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of the Restoration Radio Network. Copyright 2015. All Rights are Reserved.