In this episode Father Philip Eldracher and Alexander discuss how charity applies to oneself and of the notion of Christian Self love, differentiating between what this truly is as opposed to the modern ideals which are such a risky trap with the way society is currently. Then discussion on the Ten Commandments takes place, specifically to cover the Introductory questions.
A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion by Father Joseph Deharbe, S.J. was originally written in German, was very popular in the 19th century, and was translated into English. Bishop Donald Sanborn finds the Deharbe Catechism to be the most complete to convert and instruct people in the Catholic Faith.
Part 2: On The Commandments (continued)
Chapter I. The Commandments in General and the Chief Commandment of Charity (Concluded)
Chapter 2: On the Ten Commandments of God
Pages 169 - 172
Section 3 On Christian Self-Love (Begun and Concluded)
38. May a Christian love himself also?
39. In what does Christian self-love consist?
40. Why must we be solicitous, above all things, for the salvation of our souls?
41. What are we to do in order to secure the salvation of our soul?
42. May we also love our body and temporal goods in a Christian manner?
43. When do we love our body in a Christian manner?
44. When do we love the goods of this world in a Christian manner?
45. What is opposite to this Christian love of one's self?
46. When is self-love inordinate?
47. Is every self-love that is not supernatural vicious and inordinate?
Chapter 2: On the Ten Commandments of God: Introduction.
1. Where is our duty of loving God and our neighbour more fully contained?
2. What are the Ten Commandments?
3. Why are we Christians also bound to keep these Commandments of the Old Law?
4. If the law is written in all hearts why did God give it to man also by revelation?
5. What in particular ought to induce us faithfully to keep the Divine Commandments?
The text is available in the public domain for free online as a PDF. Used copies and reprint versions can still be found and purchased.
The music used in this show was composed by Nicholas Wilton. To enjoy more of his work go to: https://www.fourmarksmusic.com/nicholas-wilton
Original Air Date: October 16, 2020
Show Run Time: 38 minutes
Show Guest: Fr. Philip Eldracher
Show Host: Alexander Arthur
Podcast Player (5 Minute Free Preview)
To gain unlimited access to all Restoration Radio shows, you can become an Annual member by clicking the link below.
Already a member? Sign in on the right column.
This is Catholicism℗ is a Production of Member Supported Restoration Radio. Copyright 2020. All Rights are Reserved.